Every time I go to a party or event, I always feel compelled to bring lots of food. It’s always been my love language to cook for people. In the summer, though, I really just don’t have the energy to turn on the oven and heat up my house and get all sweaty before an event.
My favourite appetizer to bring, especially in warmer months, are my Caprese Skewers. I’m hard pressed even calling this a recipe because of how easy it is, but it’s such a delicious appetizer that it really does need to be shared anyway.
Caprese Skewers Ingredients
All you need for the skewers is:
- Baby Tomatoes (or Grape Tomatoes)
- Bocconcini (or cut up mozzarella)
- Fresh Basil
- Balsamic Reduction (my personal favourite is Nonna Pia‘s in Merlot flavour)!
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
I always get the small bocconcini balls, but find I still like to cut them in half. So for every 2 tomatoes, pieces of basil and toothpicks you have, you need 1 piece of bocconcini. For the dressing, mix the balsamic reduction, olive oil, salt and pepper. I like to use an 100ml mason jar so I can shake them all to combine because the oil and reduction separate.
To start, take as many bocconcini as you want and cut them in half. Set aside your tomatoes and basil. If the basil leaf is too large, cut it in half. To assemble, take a cherry tomato and pierce it through the skewer. Take a piece of basil and fold it so the shinier side of the leaf is out and pierce it with the skewer. Finally, place the mozzarella flat side down on the skewer.
As you make the skewers, place them on your serving dish. Once you have as many as desired, place them in the fridge to keep them cool until you’re ready to serve. To make the dressing, combine the oil, balsamic reduction, salt and pepper in a mason jar or a container with a lid. Shake to combine, and only dress the skewers before serving to avoid them getting soggy.
- 50 cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 25 balls boccocini cut in half
- 50 basil leaves fresh
- 50 toothpicks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic reduction
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cut all of your boccocini into half pieces before starting. If the basil is too large, cut that in half also.
- Place your tomato on your toothpick, followed with basil folded in half (shiny side out) and then boccocini. Repeat this process until all of the toothpicks are full. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the dressing, mix together all remaining ingredients (olive oil, balsamic reduction, salt and pepper) in a small mason jar or container with a lid. Shake to combine and leave out at room temperature until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, pout the dressing over the skewers. Do not do this in advance, or the basil will wilt.