This is the best soup I've ever tasted! Naturally vegan (and gluten-free)! Not to mention super healthy. The best part? This soup vitamix butternut squash soup is made with only a few ingredients and is the perfect quick and easy weeknight meal.
Based off the recipe from food.com, their classic recipe has been updated with some simple tweaks, substitution recommendations and all the tips you need to master this recipe every single time!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Substitutions and Diet Modifications
Can this be made keto/paleo friendly? Butternut squash isn't low carb by keto standards. It is definitely a lower carb option than say, rice, pasta or bread but on the standard 20 carbs or less per day type keto diet - this recipe doesn't always fit your macro needs.
Is this vegan/vegetarian friendly? Yes! This recipe is naturally vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free. The creaminess comes from the addition of cauliflower.
I don't have Granny Smith apples, what can I use instead? I actually used Sweet Tango apples (similar to McIntosh) and it turned out amazing! My one tip would be to taste for tartness and add in apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and salt as needed to balance out the flavours.
What ingredients are optional? Garam Masala, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar are all optional. Garam Masala can be left out entirely, it just balances the dish - as for apple cider vinegar and maple syrup, they can both be replaced with anything that's acidic and sweet respectively. It's just to balance out flavours while tasting.
Instructions, FAQs and Other Tips
Do I NEED a Vitamix for this Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup recipe? Nope. I feel like at this point I couldn't live without my Vitamix but any blender will do - you just may have to be patient blending in a lower-powered blender or immersion blender. Also, if you're using a blender that isn't high powered - you should peel the apples.
How do I store this soup? It can be stored in any container after it cools slightly. Keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I make this in advance? Absolutely! Making a Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup is one of the perfect appetizers you can make because it is so quick and is incredibly easy to make in advance.
How can I turn this Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup into a meal? If you double the portion it can be a really refreshing and light meal. Otherwise, serve it with your protein of choice and a side salad for a hearty and fresh side dish. I love to serve it with my Copycat Dill Pickle Salad from Taylor Farms.
Love Soup? Here are other great soup recipes!
Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup
- High Powered Blender
- Large Pot or Dutch Oven
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Large diced
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala optional
- 1 Granny Smith Apple cored, diced
- 1 head Cauliflower roughly chopped
- 2 Butternut Squash peeled, de-seeded and largely diced
- 8 cups Vegetable Broth no sodium added
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar optional
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup optional
- Prepare all your produce - peel, de-seed and dice the butternut squash, core and dice the apple, cut the cauliflower into chunks, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Once heated, add in the onion, garlic and garam masala - saute until the onions are fragrant and slightly translucent.
- Next, add in your other vegetables (squash, apple and cauliflower) and mix to combine. Pour the broth over the vegetables and bring to a heavy simmer.
- One simmering, lower the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Once everything is cooked, transfer your soup to a high powered blender in batches. Blend on high power until everything is completely smooth. Season to taste with maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with side of choice.