This recipe for white chocolate macadamia nut cookies is part of a series recreating all of my favourite recipes from Subway 100% from scratch. The master post can be found here.
Tips and Tricks for a Perfect Cookie
Ever since I was a kid, I've been absolutely obsessed with Subway's White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies. This copycat recipe is nearly identical to Subway, but loaded with more filling to batter ratio. I also make my cookies slightly thicker so they don't get overly crispy. I like a soft cookie with a slightly firm edge for this type of dessert.
The cookie dough is actually a really basic dough recipe. The most important part is doing half and half ratio butter to shortening. You can do 100% of just one if it's all you have, but it gives the best balance between flavour and texture. Make sure that the butter is unsalted.
This recipe can be made either by hand or with a stand mixer. I'm lazy, and I spent a few hundred dollars on a stand mixer so you KNOW that I bust that thing out whenever I can.
If you are using a stand mixer though, keep in mind that after the dough is combined, mix the add ins with a spoon and not the mixer. It's also important to let the dough chill for a few minutes (5-15) before baking. Otherwise, the cookie dough will be too warm and will spread too much - resulting in crisp cookies instead of the delicious soft cookies Subway is famous for.
Some recipes call for almond extract, and you can if you want, but I think macadamia nuts are expensive and delicious - I don't want almond extract to drown out that flavor so I use all vanilla. If you must use almond extract, too, do a 1:3 ratio of almond to vanilla extract.
This recipe was pulled together from a few people, but the base recipe was following this recipe from AllRecipes. Based on tweak recommendations from comments and reviews, as well as few other recipes, this recipe was trialed and perfected.
The dough base for these White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies is a super versatile starting point for cookie dough. It's a great "add in what you have on hand" kind of recipe. If you're craving a delicious cookie but don't want to spend 8 million dollars on Macadamia Nuts, you can customize this to your hearts desires.
WANT MORE SUBWAY RECIPES?
Have you tried this recipe? Leave me a 5 ⭐️ rating in the recipe card! I love to hear from you! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and sign up for my newsletter!
Subway Copycat White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- ½ cup butter unsalted
- ½ cup shortening
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar granulated
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour white
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 ½ cups macadamia nuts raw, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer), cream together butter, shortening and sugars. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until combined. Add the vanilla.
- About 1 cup at a time, add in the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- If using a stand mixer, remove bowl and add it the macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips - making sure to mix by hand. Do not over mix.
- Place in the fridge for 5 minutes, especially if you used a stand mixer. The stand mixer may heat up and melt the butter/shortening slightly and this will affect how the cookies spread.
- Scoop the dough into 1 tablespoon balls and keep about 1.5 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, depending on the heat of your oven. You don't want the cookies to overly brown and they should maintain a slightly soft texture in the center.
- Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack after about 2 minutes out of the oven so the bottoms don't brown too much. Allow to cool and store for up to a week in a food safe container.
Liked this post?
Subscribe to our newsletter here to get weekly exclusive recipes sent to your email
this looks yummy! I also buy cookies from Subway, but making your own is better. Thanks for this 🙂 A must try!
Thank you Jeannie! You'll have to let me know how they turn out!
Promolily Savvy Community
Wow, it looks delicious. I have not tried White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies but definitely share it with my friends for some special occasion.
Thank you! You'll have to let me know how it turns out!
A super fabulous recipe. Made them at the request of my 22 year old son and wow!!! We are both really impressed. Will be looking for more of your recipes! Thanks!
I'm so glad you liked them, Melody! They're one of my favourites and can't wait to hear how you like all the others. Thanks for the nice review 🙂